Sunday 22 May 2016

War Machine by Tank

Currently on the turntable (or rather not on the turntable because it's a CD but coming out the speakers anyway) is this relatively-recent Tank offering.

I made the 'pre-loved' purchase because it's not available for streaming or to buy digitally. (I don't count Youtube but that's a conversation for another day.)  Odd that, because War Nation (same record label) and the recent Valley of Tears are both available sans removable media.

Tank vinyl figures in my collection, but when an album first comes out in 2010 it feels as if the vinyl is simply put out as a collector's item and that perversely makes me not want to collect it. In this case I'll go for the nice clean rip, not being in the 'vinyl is warmer' camp.

Some say that it's not Tank without Algy Ward (who rather confusingly is also releasing records as Tank). My own feeling on this is that any album is a collection of work by a particular set of musicians and should be judged as such  regardless of the name on the front, but I can certainly understand how Algy's fans would feel on this matter.

What about the music? It's great. It's a more sophisticated sound than early Tank, but still has the classic metal sound that I love. I can really hear Saxon there in the music as well as the vocals; lots of good lead riffs and root-note bass. I'm not a fan of a couple of the more ponderous tracks here, but when it rocks, it rocks.

I'm becoming a Doogie White fan, he has a new album out in his own name (with La Paz) as well as a more recent Tank album.

No comments:

Post a Comment