Sunday 14 October 2018

This One Goes to Eleven :: Rock and Metal playlist :: Episode 16 :: 13 Oct 2018

Welcome back, or just welcome if it's your first time, for Episode 16 of the usual mix of rock and metal, new and old. On the 13th of the month it seems appropriate to start mixing some Halloween-inspired choices with the new releases.   Read my notes for the lowdown and if you spot any connections that I haven't, or have suggestions for future playlists, leave them in the comments and earn yourself some kudos.

There's a link just below to a playlist that you can and should subscribe to, and it will change and contain the latest selections each week. Below that is the permanent playlist for episode 16. You can find all previous episodes / playlists by exploring the previous posts on this blog.

I think you have to click through to the Spotify app to listen to the songs in full. Underneath all that are my notes from this episode.

(Here is a link to the playlist that you need to subscribe to for the new episode each week )




- Shirley Knott

Last Halloween by Jyrki 69 from Helsinki Vampire (2017) An atmospheric start from lead vocalist of Finnish Band The 69 Eyes

The Wicker Man by Iron Maiden from Brave New World (2000) I watched the film again recently. What a great performance by Edwoodwoodwood and a haunting story. This album marked the return to the Iron Maiden fold by Bruce Dickinson and broke the curse of the previous two albums. It's a shame that the employment of Blaze Bayley didn't work out, he's a great vocalist and much closer to Paul Di'Anno than Brucie.

Walpyrgus Nights by Walpyrgus from Walpyrgus Nights (2017) melodic classic metal, a very enjoyable album with horror themes.

The Fighter by Those Damn Crows from Murder and the Motive (2018)  Hard Rock, reminding me of Thunder in places

Necropolis by Manilla Road from Crystal Logic (1983) Mark Shelton's (RIP) project had somehow passed me by but I'm glad I've discovered it now. Crystal Logic appears to be the most popular album. For something more thrashy, check out Out of the Abyss

Re-Animator by Arkham Witch from I am Providence (2015) Arkham Witch are delightful, they mix Lovecraft-inspired lyrics with lighthearted music somewhere between classic metal and punk ("2-3-4!")

Fire Again! by Vanik from Vanik (2016)  Another horror-inspired band. I'm looking forward to a new album out a little later this year.

Brunin by Skalmold from Sorgir (2018) A new release from slightly folky Icelandic metal band.

Hypocrisy by Impellitteri from The Nature of the Beast (2018)  This new release features new material and a couple of covers with Chris Impellitteri's fast shredding style.

Brother by Live from Local 717 (2018)

Pole to Pole by Nazareth from Tattooed on My Brain (2018) Veterans Nazareth are celebrating 50 years with a new album and new line-up. Long-time vocalist Dan McCafferty has passed the mic briefly to Linton Osbourne and now to Carl Sentance. I'm not sure that I'm keen on the new sound and I don't think the songwriting is strong, which is a shame.

Fire up by Verni from Barricade (2018) solo album (with guests) from D D Verni of Overkill

Kurt Russell by Gama Bomb from Speed Between The Lines (2018) I've been looking forward to this album. I love the quirky title of this track, and I'm sure I heard 'Walpyrgus Night' in the lyrics

 Armed and Ready by Michael Schenker Group (1980) Opening song from first album by MSG





That's the list for this week.

For all of the best rock and metal new releases, subscribe to my New Rock and Metal Album Releases playlist.

No comments:

Post a Comment