Saturday 29 September 2018

Metal Fatigue, Ebony Records' first compilation


I've just added this to my Ebony collection and I'm really chuffed with it. Its number is EBON1 which I assume means that it's the first of such compilations to issue forth from Darryl Johnson's stable.

First impressions are that the sound is remarkably good. The guitars sound very real and present, it's not the tinny distant sound heard on many Ebony releases. I'd love to know the technical reason for that.

It's a compilation of up-and-coming (at the time) bands. There's little to be found on many of the bands here, but one track is by Savage, who made some commercial full-length releases on the same label and then others.

As with the many compilations of this type, some of the songs sound amateurish, some much more professional and some of the songwriting is surprisingly good. It's a delightful listen throughout.

I really enjoyed my first listen of this record, it's a rewarding listen if you like NWOBHM / classic / 80s metal.

No comments:

Post a Comment