Saturday 4 August 2018

This One Goes to Eleven :: Rock and Metal playlist :: Episode 6 :: 4 Aug 2018

Welcome back, or just welcome if it's your first time, for the usual mix of rock and metal, new and old. This one has some Wacken-inspired choices because that's what I'm enjoying this weekend (broadcast for free).

I've chosen songs from a few bands that have played at the festival this weekend and also raiding my favourite albums from the last couple of years.

Below is a permanent playlist containing the songs from this episode, along with a link to an 'updating' playlist that you can subscribe to that will contain each week's new selection. You can access the playlists for previous issue sby exploring this blog's previous posts.

Below is the Spotify playlist (I think you have to click through to the Spotify app to listen to the songs in full). Underneath that are my notes from this episode.

(Here is a permanent link to Episode 6
and here is a link to the playlist that you need to subscribe to for the new episode each week )

- Shirley Knott






I Talk to the Dead by Cloven Hoof from Who Mourns for the Morning Star (2017) A NWOBHM band from the '80s who have had long breaks but are back with this brilliant album.

Salvation by Michael Schenker from Ressurection (2018) Definitely a top album from this year. The 'last supper' album cover with MS doing the 'big arms' thing does make me feel a little uneasy, but he's perhaps more entitled than some to pretend to be Jesus. I look forward to seeing Michael Schenker Fest later in the year, an act featuring three vocalists from his history, including the truly great Graham Bonnet.

A Dying Machine by Tremonti by Tremonti from A Dying Machine (2018)  Latest release, title track, from the solo project of Alter Bridge guitarist Mark Tremonti. Played an enjoyable set at Wacken Open Air 2018

Twisted Dream by Mindmaze from Resolve (2017)  More great female-fronted power metal.

Stop the War by Holy Dragons from Civilizator (2016)   From Kazakhstan apparently - obviously not a band that I know very much about but I do love this album. Imagine Bruce Dickinson had taken a slightly heavier and less commercial path.

Fear is the Killer by Q5 from New World Order (2016)  Yet another band from the 80s who decided to get back together (after some kind of festival reunion I believe) and have produced a terrific album. This one reminds me of one of the Scorpions' higher-octane offerings.

Black Smoke Rising by Greta Van Fleet from From the Fires (2017)  Pretty melodic hooky stuff, but the boy does sound like Robert Plant. Easy to like.

Rattlesnake Rock 'n' Roller by Blackfoot from Marauder (1981)  A blast from the southerny bluesy past. The band now called Blackfoot has no original members but is being 'mentored' by original member Rickey Medlocke. There are a couple of albums from around 1980 that represent their high point for me, Marauder and Tomcattin'

Pay to Pray by Tankard from One Foot in the Grave (2017)  The band have been around for a very long time. I'll be honest, some of their albums move me more than others. Here's one that does.

Happy Little Boozer by Korpiklaani (live) Such a joy to watch them play this one at Wacken.

Earthshaker Rock by Warlock from Hellbound (1986) It was very emotional seeing her perform this at Wacken 2018 because her band Warlock were the first band on at the first festival I went to. (Monsters of Rock, Donington Park 1986.) I'm sure they played this song at the start or near the start and I remember that excited feeling deep inside.

Fast as a Shark by Dirkschneider from Live Back to the Roots (2017)  A real classic song from 80's Accept. I prefer the slightly less gargly voice of Mark Tornillo with Accept. Udo Dirkschneider is doing his own thing as U.D.O and Dirkschneider which I've enjoyed in a nostalgic way. But his performance at Wacken 2018 was amazing. I was captivated and so glad that I saw it.   This is one of the best old Accept tracks and one he can't not perform everywhere.

Hate Crew Deathroll by Children of Bodom from Hate Crew Deathroll (2003)  Finnish melodic power / thrash metal. Brilliant performance at Wacken 2018

About Time by Horisont from About Time (2017) I don't know very much about this band except that they fall somewhere between hard rock and prog rock. A high level of musicianship and songwriting. I love this track, which is obviously based on Wells' Time Machine, with an album cover that makes me think of one of my favourite films, The Prestige.

Dr Stein by Helloween from Keeper of the Seven Keys pt II (1988)  The most singalong track from this very classic album. As I write this I've yet to see Helloween on stage at Wacken 2018 but I'm so looking forward to the reunion.


No comments:

Post a Comment