Friday 27 July 2018

This One Goes to Eleven :: Rock and Metal playlist :: Episode 5 :: 27 July 2018

Welcome back, or just welcome if it's your first time. This playlist, which is akin to an hour-long radio programme, consists of proper solid rock and metal, new and old. Centring around NWOBHM / MWOTHM  extending to thrash, symphonic, hard / heavy rock, southern and possibly tentatively exploring other areas too.  Do make requests in the comments.

There are a few weekly episodes available now, and you can find them by exploring this blog's previous posts.

Below is the Spotify playlist (I think you have to click through to the Spotify app to listen to the songs in full). Below that are my notes from this episode.

- Shirley Knott

In case the embedded player below doesn't work, here's a link.



Lies Are a Business by Dee Snider from For the Love of Metal (2018)  My ears have been looking forward to this one. I believe that a band is as good as its current material and I love it when classic acts put out solid new material rather than just going out and playing their old hits.

Gasoline and Ice Cold Gin by Evil Maquerade from The Digital Crucifix (2014) A lively Scandinavian metal band.

Avec Vous by Vulcain from V8 (2013) A band I discovered recently on BandCamp. This isn't from their most recent album but it's one that I particularly liked.

Fallen Brother by Kreator from Gods of Violence (2017)  A band that goes way back into the history of thrash metal, and once again they're putting out their best material ever.

Shining Perpetuity by Ultra-Violence from Operation Misdirection (2018)  Again one of this week's new releases. A new one on me but this is their third full-length. They seem to have an unhealthy interest in Clockwork Orange....

Upon the Knee by Chris Caffery from Jester's Court (2018)  Chris is a guitarist from the huge rock band Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

Red and White by Derdian from DNA (2018)  I think there's a serious concept going down here and some progressive power metal. This is a stand-out album and will make my list of best albums of the year.

F*cking Robots by Michael Romeo from War of the Worlds pt 1 (2018)  Another concept album. Without having dug too deeply yet, it seems to be based on the Wells novel, and I'm sure I heard a nod to Jeff Wayne's classic album in there. This track had me at the title, and I love the sound effects.

Hot for Teacher by Van Halen from 1984 (1984) From the sublime to the ridiculous. The Dee Snider album put me in an 80s frame of mind and this is the track that floated to the top of the tank when I gave it a stir.

Queen of Swords by Seven Thorns from II (2014) I don't know very much about the band but I like the sound. Scandinavian, unsurprisingly.

Life Finds a Way by Helion Prime from Helion Prime (2016) I really like this album. Since it was made they've changed their singer and I've been eagerly awaiting the next (still waiting).

Here Again by Rush from Rush (1974)  Proper old rock from a band that are still putting out quality material (I almost included a track from Clockwork Angels, and will do in a future playlist.)

Holy Diver by Dio from Holy Diver (1983)  Finishing with a song from my heyday and one of the finest singers in rock ever. This particular track is a classic but doesn't really show off his talent for lyric writing.
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment