Friday 30 September 2016

Notable recent rock and metal releases - end Sept 2016

As usual, below is just a selection of some of my favourite releases. All music I've listened to goes into my New Rock and Metal releases playlist. Note that I now archive this off to leave only the last couple of weeks-worth in there. For the older ones, see my 2016 rock  / metal releases playlist. Just sort that one by date to see the most recent at the top.

King 810 - La Petite Mort or a Conversation with God : This sounds like Faith No More have become *really* pissed off about something. That's my best stab at describing the sound/style but it makes you sit up and take notice when something truly original comes along. Maybe this isn't a new style but it's not like anything I've heard before. The anger is difficult to take for an entire album, but in smaller doses it's great.
★★★☆☆

Sixtynine - You are Me : A fresh sound, nicely oldschool and a wide variety of styles from almost unplugged to Foos-style rockout. The first time I heard it I starred it for another listen, by the third listen it was in the favourite albums of 2016.
★★★★★

Allegaeon - Proponent for Sentience : It's prog/thrash/symphonic/death metal all rolled into one. I'm not keen on growled vocals but it's not all growled and musically it's an awesome album. The last couple of tracks were a surprise, with a switch to clean vocals. I assume the switch relates to the story, which has to do with machine sentience and them quite rightly deciding to destroy us.
★★★★★

Charred Walls of the Damned - Creatures Watching Over the Dead : Supergroup that seems to have come out of Iced Earth featuring Richard Christy, Steve DiGiorgio, Tim "Ripper" Owens and Jason Suecof. Delightfully heavy with the excellent vocals you'd expect from Owens.
★★★★☆

Devin Townsend Project - Transcendence : No Ziltoid this time, but more of that huge epic sound and great songwriting.
★★★★☆

Ghost BC - Popestar : I've been waiting for this release but I have to say that the songs (all covers) don't grab me as much as previous original work has. Maybe it needs more listens.
★★★☆☆

Lordi - Monsterophonic : Another one I've been looking forward to. I thought they'd shaken off the Eurovision legacy. There is still the odd anthematic chorus that sounds as if it's designed for the popfans who like to put on a New Look leather jacket and pretend that they're into metal. But for the most part it's genuine honest stuff.
★★★☆☆

No comments:

Post a Comment