Friday 3 June 2016

Recent Rock and Metal releases and a few reviews

I've added about 20 albums to the New Rock and Metal playlist this week, but nothing has really eclipsed some of the recent favourites I've been spinning again such as Kvelertak, Metal Church, Holy Dragons and one of my favourites of the year, Lords of Black II.

Some notable releases this week:

The Erkonauts - I Did Something Bad : Complex music and great artwork (is that a 2001-style monolith?) are apparently at odds with some frivolous titles and lyrics. That all makes for a compelling 4-star listen. I feel there's more here that I've yet to 'get'.


HELLYEAH - Unden!able : I've been looking forward to this one since they released Human from the album. A little bit nu / melodic but on the hard side of that.


Toseland - Cradle the Rage : This guitar R'n'F'n'R has had me boogie-ing around the room. Solid stuff. May have to upgrade this to a 5 after a few more listens.


A mention too for Mother Feather's self-titled album. I was put off by the cover image - is it lipstick-pouting-let-me-bend-over-for-you stuff? I'm not sure, but I do like the music; good rock and interesting songwriting behind the clean female vocals.

Also Imperium; of all the recet album covers featuring hooded or mythical figures or mystical titles, Dreamhunter might be the one I give a few more listens.

Lacuna Coil - It's been getting a lot of attention; I'll be listening some more in case everyone else is right and I'm wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment